Friday, January 3, 2014

Canvas #1: 30 Canvases in 30 Days

I signed up for a "30 Canvases in 30 Days" challenge a tiny bit late, so this is my first canvas . . . which I am linking to the page where everyone else is posting a 4th canvas. 

Today was my first day without guests since December 22, so I hunkered down in my horrifying painting clothes and had a ball.  Seriously, I felt almost drunk with the joy and the lightheartedness and the freedom.  No Christmas commission panic!  No deadline dread!  No restrictions of any kind!  Just paint!  While paint dried, I also dashed in and out of the kitchen making homemade poppy seed buns and lentil meatballs with my son.  I'm almost never that organized, so I had to document it.  It will make me feel better on days when my husband arrives home to find me in the fetal position with a Post-It Note stuck to my forehead that says, "Please order pizza."

First coat(s) of paint: 



 Walnut spray!


How about some stencil action?


And maybe a stamp?


Although I loved the background, I knew I wanted to paint Shakespeare, so I wanted a neutral glaze for an aging effect.


Shakespeare in gesso.


Hrms.  Shakespeare looks a little feminine.


Oooh!  I know!  Shakespeare's sister!  In A Room of One's Own, Virginia Woolf names her Judith!



Once I realized I was painting Judith, I got so entranced that I more or less - or entirely - forgot to take pictures.  Here is Judith, the sister imagined by Virginia Woolf, who is just as bright as Shakespeare and just as interested in the world around her, except that every time she tries to read Ovid, her parents come in and say, "Judith, mend the socks" or some such.  I painted "Judith" with green, but the rest is in yellow: Judith, mend the socks now.




I believe that shall be the title.

And that's Day 1!

14 comments:

  1. hee!! she is fantastic. I LOVE the colors in the background!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my sweet! I am super excited about her! And this background was my favorite of all the ones I made on this day. :D

      Delete
  2. I love watching you grow, grow, grow! These are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyone know how I get rid of that ampersand crap in my name?

      Delete
    2. Thank you, my love!

      Stupid amperspand hashtag 39! I wish I knew how to help!

      Delete
  3. She is terrific! Wonderful pinks and reds in the facial features. Woo! for starting the new year with a big challenge! (ALSO, I got me some acrylics! A Windsor Newton set with a handy dandy 40% off at Dick Blick's coupoon!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! Thank you!

      That is awesome paint news! Let me know how you like the Windsor Newtons. I am using mostly Liquitex at the moment. I am so jealous of your proximity to Blick!

      Delete
  4. I love seeing your step by step process. Judith is just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HA! Judith is awesome! Love her hair and especially those big eyes! Poor thing mending socks when there's so much to read. Ovid though? Ouch. lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you know, she couldn't read vampire erotica, so what's a girl to do between household chores?! ;)

      Thanks for the lovely words!

      Delete
  6. Love it. She looks kind of miserable, as anyone mending socks would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I wanted her to look fairly miserable. It would seriously suck to be as smart as Shakespeare and be stuck mending socks.

      Delete
  7. I love this striking piece. And it is so fun to see your process.

    ReplyDelete