Sunday, January 5, 2014

Canvas #5: 30 Canvases in 30 Days

I think I mentioned that I joined this challenge a little late.  Did I also mention that the only stack of true canvases I had in the house were 9x12? In retrospect, I probably should have used some of my canvas panels, because after painting five 9x12 canvases in three days, I am kind of exhausted. 

For Day 5, I started off with a very bright orange and a very bright pink. 



I gessoed in two figures, whom I intended to be Napoleon and Josephine.  Given the French connection, I stenciled on some fleur de liseseses.  (That is totally the plural of fleur de lis.  Don't play like it isn't.)






Oh grumpy Napoleon, don't be sad.  You will soon be wearing your emperor's new clothes.




Okay, so grumpy Napoleon wasn't sad about his clothes; he was sad about his queen being in love with another man.  And I can't help history.  What I could help was the upper right corner, with which I became completely obsessed. 



It needed something.  It needed . . . white?  I felt it did.  I started splattering white paint into the upper corner, but it wasn't enough.  Maybe I needed to add another fleur de lis.  So I did.  One thousand six hundred and forty two tiny changes later, I was finished.

And I was happy.



19 comments:

  1. Awwww....he does look sad. Such a cutie. I just want to twist his little ear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I like his little ear, too! Hee hee! Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate it! :D

      Delete
  2. I love your story telling with each step by step :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This pair is fantastic! I love his sour little face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sal! His face makes me 85 kinds of happy. :D

      Delete
  4. You are amazing, Ann!! Love your art and your story telling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! Thank you so much, Beth! You are a lovely soul! <3

      Delete
  5. FANTASTIC. Seriously. Such personality. Such whimsy (say that in the weird alien way that Paul F Tompkins says it. Wait, I might have to send you some Paul F. Tompkins audio.) Where was I?

    Holy crap, this is such a great painting! The costumes, the faces, the CUTE EAR. I can't believe you did five (relatively) HUGE ones. Do a couple ATC size! There is no size parameter for this thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! Thank you so much! :D :D :D I probably will have to shrink it down eventually, but at the moment, I'm enjoying the challenge of going hugenormous.

      Delete
  6. I love Napoleon's costume - so much detail! I really love the upper right corner now. So fantastic.

    I am suddenly filled with the need to send you some 3 x 3 canvases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha! Clearly, I need some 3x3s! Or even 4x4s!

      I am so glad you love the upper right corner! It was bugging the hell out of me, but I painted it into submission. Rawr.

      Delete
  7. These are great! I wish I had time to peruse more of work of the other artists in this challenge, but am glad I stopped over here! I love seeing the work in progress too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Vicky! I am delighted you stopped by! I confess I have been visiting fewer blogs with each passing day, but I'm thrilled to have found you! Your work is fantastic!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All your canvases are wonderfull!! I think its funny (and daunting!) that you have the 30 Canvases in 30 Days and 50 canvases in 2014 going at the same time, youve got 30 crammed into one month and 11 more months to space out 20, I get tired just thinking about it! But as soon as i can get the supplies, I'll be joining you (a little late, but fashionably :p) Ooo! I popped over to your shop and absolutly fell in LOVE with your mini Supernatural dolls!! Its my favorite show, I even got a Supernatural tat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Berra! And I agree - it is kind of hilarious that I'm cramming all of this in at the front end, then pacing myself like a champ for the rest of the year. I figure maybe it's like boot camp, followed by weekly training runs? Or something??? ;)

      Oooh! Supernatural tat! So freaking awesome! What did you get?

      Delete
    2. I got the anti- demonic possession symbol like the boys have on their chests, their yummy, muscely chests.... haha boot camp, yeah thats exactly what it sounds like!!

      Delete
  10. I love this one! I adore her little rosy cheeks and her cheeky cleavage. <3!!!!
    Love, Laurie.

    ReplyDelete