Sunday, January 12, 2014

Canvas #9: 30 Canvases in 30 Days



This weekend, I had some fairly major things to get done that did not involve painting, but by God, I was going to paint anyway!  Nay, I was going to stand on a hill like Scarlett O'Hara, shake my paintbrush at the sky, and make rash vows before God and everyone to CATCH UP WITH THE CHALLENGE!  (And indeed I did!)

Here's Canvas 9, which introduces yet another topic with which I have a macabre fascination: People from history who have been beheaded.  In this case, I painted Anne Boleyn with her de facto executioner, Henry VIII, or as he was also known, her husband.
 
Since I had a warm color palette, I followed the advice of Sal Scheibe, momentarily relinquished my obsession with purple shadows, and went with a Raw Umber (light and dark varieties) on poor Anne's face.








6 comments:

  1. It's weird - the shadows still look really purple to me.. Maybe my monitor is smoking the crack?

    They are awesome - I love all the beady details and his pouty pissy face.. but the hashmarks in the background are my FAVORITe part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Thank you for noticing my hash marks! :D

      She looks purply on my screen, too. Maybe it's the pinkish cast of the cheek shading? Or maybe I just made an extra pink skin tone mix? I don't know. If I may quote Ratchet & Clank, it's one of nature's mysteries.

      Delete
  2. I do like the variation of tone with the shading. From my screen (and it could just be my screen) it gives a 'warmth' to the picture that appeals to me. (I too am just a tiny bit of a fan of that time period. Just a wee little bit. :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I was definitely going for warmth.

      Oh, and I'm glad we're co-fans! I love that period!

      Delete
  3. Wooo, this one is really great too. It's almost like a royal photo booth! It seems I missed a lot. Are you posting them in the 30-day challenge thinger? On the other hand, who has time for checking everywhere in the middle of this break neck freaking challenge. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Royal photo booth. Hahahaha! Now I want to do a long, skinny canvas with the obligatory bunny ears shot.

      I am posting them in the 30 Days thing only when I catch up. She doesn't allow backwards posting. :(

      Delete