Sunday, January 12, 2014

Canvas #10: 30 Canvases in 30 Days

This canvas did double duty for me, satisfying not only Day 10 of the 30 Canvases challenge, but also Week 1 of the Wonderstrange 50 Canvases in 2014 challenge.

The Wonderstrange challenge was to use three stencils on one canvas.





When the paint from the last stencil dried, I gesso'ed in a figure and created a fairy tale sort of story:






I didn't know at this point that she would be an evil princess, but that's soon what she became:  An Evil Princess in search of a hard black heart, the better to punish pretty stepdaughters down the road.




If you lean very close, I'll tell you a secret: I love this canvas.  It might even be my favorite from the challenge thus far.

5 comments:

  1. She is fantastic. And sad. Like she's looking for a hard black heart because she's tired of her squishy red one being stepped on. The true makings of an evil queen.

    Like I said last night, clever clever clever use of that last stencil!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! She has been hurt too many times, and she wants a hard, black hurt that can't be squashed!

      And thanks so much for commenting! And for the stencil love! I was oddly worried that turning it into a tree was cheating somehow. I'm such a weirdo.

      Delete
  2. Holy Amaze-balls! I LOVE this. Her little mouth, the fact that she has a black little heart, her hair, EVERYTHING. This one's my favorite too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far my favorite too! I'm supposed to be writing right now, but couldn't help but peruse your blog after your fb post. So far canvas #10 has my heart as well... but all of them are truly amazing!

    ReplyDelete