Monday, January 20, 2014

Canvas #15: 30 Canvases in 30 Days

This canvas went on quite a journey.  Seriously, QUITE a journey.  Ready?

Hmm (I thought) for this one, perhaps I'll try a kind of abstractish, geometric sort of background.



 I fiddled with colors.


Then . . .OMG lava.  It was mesmerizing how much the bottom third looked like lava.  I had to stop myself from thinking about lava, and deadly volcanoes, and Star Trek Into Darkness, and Benedict Cumberbatch, and MORE Benedict Cumberbatch, and so . . .

I added a stencil.


 After the stencil released me from the lava monster Benedict Cumberbatch, I grabbed my new gelli plate - a Christmas present to myself - and covered all of it in a thin and (happily sometimes) patchy layer of yellow and orange.


 Once I had that, in place, I felt like adding some pink.  And then I turned it upside down.  And then I used followed the curve of the stencil to locate the eyes on a figure.


Who then became this little freak.  Sometimes, you have an alien living inside your chest, and it bursts out, and you die.  (See also Alien, Aliens, Aliens 3, and Aliens 4.)  Sometimes, the chestburster bursts out of you, and you don't die.  (See also this painting.)  Instead, you and the chestburster fall happily into a state of mutual adoration, so loving and so selfless that you take your chestburster to the fair . . . where it promptly eats too much cotton candy and throws up on your shoes.  Sorry!


6 comments:

  1. OH MY GOD ANN that is freakin adorable. I want my own chestburster! and holy crap the detail on the background. Go you, superstar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks honeypie! I love this one. I love it so, so, so much!

      Delete
  2. Okay, so....can I have more than one favorite? Pretty please? 'Cuz I <3 this one just so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can have as many favorites as you want! You have official permission! :D

      Delete
  3. omigosh, bunny monster! So freaking cute I can't stand it. The carnival background is really cool! [I did read about the chest burster. But I'm sorry Ann, when you put a painting into the world it isn't just yours anymore. And this is a bunny monster and not a chest burster. A chest burster would be too scary for some of your readers (me).] :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bwahahaha! He does look like a bunny monster. You have my blessing to think of him that way (not that you need it, of course).

      I was a little proud of the background here, I confess! :D

      Delete