Monday, January 13, 2014

Canvas #13: 30 Canvases in 30 Days

It was probably inevitable that I would make a two-headed girl at some point during this challenge. This picture of her is not great, unfortunately, but my husband and I both futzed with it, and we both gave up.  You'll just have to trust me that the harlequin pattern involves blue and orange, even though the orange nearly invisible in this shot:




This is probably a good time to take stock (again) of some of the things I'm learning:

1) Impatience accomplishes exactly nothing.  Agitation will not make lines get shorter or paint dry faster so you can fix that thing you want to fix.  Swearing at paint doesn't fix anything either.  If you put your hand in paint, that's not paint's fault. 

2) No one is timing you.  Keep making choices that make you stronger in the long term, not ones that make you less annoyed or less busy in the short term.

3) Stretching yourself makes you vulnerable, uncomfortable, and incompetent in ways that don't feel very good.  Nothing could be better.  If you don't stretch, you don't grow.  What kind of person thinks it's more important to be comfortable and safe than to be growing?

4) Perfection is impossible - and for that matter, subjective.  Do everything you can do, and then pay yourself some basic respect by moving on to the next thing. You can make time to create new things, or you can make time to mourn and question old things.  The clock won't give you both at once.

5) You don't need to take guilty "me" time.  You deserve to invest in yourself.  Make yourself better.  Push yourself.  Astound yourself.

I think that's all for now, and I'm sorry it's not peppered with jokes.  I'm tired.  :)

10 comments:

  1. Firstly, I think the girls are charming, and I love their sweet faces. Again, I love the combination of collage and paint and assume they mesh better than it looks like in this picture, cause you are the queen of collage integration.. lol

    I would like to add a #6 to your list:

    Every canvas that you complete is a HUGE accomplishment. Getting to 13 is a huge accomplishment. Even if you never painted another thing after today, you should be proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think your #6 is spot on, and I appreciate your adding it to the list.

      :D

      Delete
  2. I agree with Sarah about the #6. Everything you pour your creative soul into is a HUGE accomplishment. Everytime you access that part of yourself that's fragile and vulnerable, letting it flow thru your body and onto that canvas/paper/whatever, you are giving a part of yourself to the Universe. And that is HUGE. There is no room for guilt, no time for impatience, perfection does not apply. You *should* be proud of what you create. It is part of your soul, made real.

    (And, as for the painting, SQUUEEEEEEEEE! You painted a TWO HEADED circus girl!!!!! I <3 her so much!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad you like her!

      I'm getting better about being vulnerable. Having anything on the internet that I'm not 100% happy with is a very vulnerable place to be, but seriously . . . growing is more important than being comfortable, and what is everyone in the world going to do, divorce me?

      Delete
  3. I'm still swearing at paint, but since you're further along, I'm going to accept your pronouncement that it doesn't fix anything. This may save me some time. Keep on with the tips!

    I also agree with the number 6. I am damn heartily pleased that I have completed 4 paintings (and much smaller than yours). Even though I used ink. Which feels like cheating! But it's not cheating, it's just something a little different.

    Holy cow they are adorable. It looks like they've both just swung their hair sideways with a little flip of the head, and it hasn't quite settled back yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You both need to get this through your heads: There is no such thing as cheating. <3

      ...well.. unless you print off a picasso and call it your own. BUT, technique-wise, no cheating. Purists can suck it. ;)

      Delete
    2. Cindy D, you make me laugh out loud! You are so fun. And thanks for the kind words. And the fellow swearing.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic, Ann! I LOVE her! Love the mixed media elements too.

    What you've done so far is an amazing accomplishment! So many canvases and they all have your distinct style and they're all so freaking cool. This is big.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sal! <3 I'm glad to know they all look like me - and that you think they're cool!

      Delete