Saturday, January 30, 2016

Days 21-23 - Three Small Watercolors

I am writing this entry after the fact, which is probably good, because after I finished the 20th canvas, I had a Serious Crisis.  With a scant few days remaining, I had to create 10 more pieces, and I didn't see how it could be done.  Literally, it did not seem possible.  Despair doesn't begin to cover how I felt.  My husband, who supports me in everything, began to talk to me in slow, quiet, funereal tones about how many more canvases I could realistically hope to finish.  Two?  Three?  I can't tell you the last time I'd felt so dark.

I decided at that point to abandon my theme.  Yes, it's great to read and do research and learn about fairy tales while painting, but there was no time. I was also tired of women being silenced and reduced to their looks.  I started painting warriors.  I wanted women with swords who could fight their own battles and slay their own foes.  I wanted to contrast soft shadows with hard power.

Then I painted Truitonne, from a fairy tale, because I wanted to paint her red trout spots. 

Doing whatever I wanted to do felt great.  Learning things about watercolors felt great.

I began to have hope.


3 comments:

  1. This top warrior woman is just about at excellent as the Gretel and I shall have one or the other in the auction! Mention the auction more! (Also, you can remove that comment once the auction is done. Wait, that will make work for you. No, you could just leave it! It will be obvious the auction is over and people who see it, maybe they will be inclined to add your next auction to your calendar so they can recover from the despair they will undoubtedly feel when they realize they have missed the first auction that included all these three tiny excellent watercolors from your very beginnings of watercolors!)

    I have been pretty rambling today. You can tell, probably. OH. Here is that thing I mentioned: http://artintoauction2016.eflea.ca/view
    :D

    ReplyDelete