Sunday, January 10, 2016

Day 9 - Gretel Born of Fire

I am always too scared to play with watercolors, but this is a challenge, so why not be scared?!











That's "Gretel, Born of Fire," which is of course from Hansel and Gretel, but by way of one of my favorite poems, "Gretel in Darkness," by Louise Gluck.  Here's an excerpt:

"No one remembers.  Even you, my brother,
summer afternoons you look at me as though
you meant to leave,
as though it never happened.
But I killed for you.  I see armed firs,
the spires of that gleaming kiln -

Nights I turn to you to hold me
but you are not there.
Am I alone? Spies
hiss in the stillness, Hansel,
we are there still and it is real, real,
that black forest and the fire in earnest."

5 comments:

  1. I am stunned at how much detail you can get into such a small canvas with the watercolors. I just love the way the sharpness of her eyes and mouth contrast with the softness of her hair and dress. And that's really it: there is such a softness to watercolors and the colors seem so light and deep at the same time. I want to see a lot more of these from you, and I would love to see what you can do on a larger canvas. I had no idea that I liked watercolor work so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm just swooning and blushing and things. :D

      Delete
  2. I think she's wonderful! And I really love the way you started out so loosely. It worked out quite nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sal! I am never, ever that loose, so it was oddly thrilling! LOL

      Delete
  3. Very nice post.really I apperciate your blog.Thanks for sharing.keep sharing more blogs.
    ซอมบี้

    ReplyDelete