Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Day 11 - Hansel and Gretel

The other night, I decided - because why not - that instead of a traditional canvas, I should complete one of my paintings on a a license plate.

See how it says 1873?  That will be important in a second.

I cleaned it, applied some clear gesso, and decided to take advantage of the panoramic dimensions to create Hansel and Gretel in the woods.

Painting trees on a license plate is NBD.  Painting children, on the other hand, was a surprisingly BD.  Don't try this at home unless you have lots of time to negotiate raised shapes.
I decided to dress Hansel and Gretel in clothing from 1873, because the license plate told me to.  I think the fancy fancy emphasizes how very out of place they are, and how ill-prepared for what lies ahead.
To finish out the composition, I added a bird, eating Hansel's crumbs.

I call this "Hansel and Gretel; or, License to Survive," because that's what they do.  They face abandonment, betrayal, fear, and a CANNIBAL (for the love of Pete), and still, they survive.  So can you.  So can we all.

As ever, this is available in my shop.


3 comments:

  1. What a brilliant idea, and I loved that you used the raised numbers as inspiration for the art! You have mastered the dark woods once again. I love both Hansel and Gretel--I can't decide if Gretel is looking up to the heavens asking why she has such terrible luck, or if she has just encountered the gingerbread house and has a bad feeling about it. Either way, I love the detail and color of her costume. And speaking of color in costumes, how cool is your transition from light to darkness on Hansel's suit?! It's clearly a rich blue from the light on his left shoulder, but it looks nearly black in the shadows on his right side. I am in love with his hat and his downcast expression, presumably because he realizes that there are so many more breadcrumbs left to create a trail. Such a great concept and such a wonderful execution!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! What a great idea! I love the 1873 link too.

    The woods are truly amazing! They really are pretty spectacular with the depth and the leaves. Really nicely painted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very helpful suggestions that help in the optimizing website. thank for sharing the link.
    ซอมบี้

    ReplyDelete