Monday, January 12, 2015

30 Paintings in 30 Days: "Your face among minnows" (Day 12)

Among the poets I love most, the one I understand least well is Louise Gluck, whose words mesmerize and enchant me as effectively as they defy my attempts to pry loose their meanings.  Last night, I opened *The House on Marshland*, and I read "The Pond," which sits right beside one of my favorite poems from the collection, "Gretel in Darkness."  I do not understand "The Pond."  But I loved this:

"Under the ringed moon I can make out
your face swimming among minnows . . ."

That image inspired this canvas, which I created - on impulse - from these four colors, and the colors that can be made by combining these colors: White, Yellow Ochre, Prussian Blue, and Magenta.


3 comments:

  1. Wonderful, Ann! It's certainly haunting and sad. I was thinking Ophelia when I saw this. I'll have to check out Louise Gluck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I was just saying to CindyD on Facebook that I finished painting her hair and thought, "Oh, god, I've gone and done Ophelia!" Haha.

      Louise Gluck is like REALLY expensive wine: She tastes amazing, and I can't say why. And I don't care. I just want to keep drinking!

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. We were just talking this morning about how far your faces have come, so it is amazing to see how much you grow from day 12 to day 20! One week! Nuts!

    I love how you created the murkiness and dirtiness of the water. What I can't keep my eyes off of for long is the school of brightly colored minnows that slide by, oblivious to the tragedy beneath them. Again, their alternating curving bodies create such motion and life that contrasts beautifully with the lack of motion and life below. Love it!

    ReplyDelete