Saturday, January 10, 2015

30 Paintings in 30 Days: "i saw a princess pass" (Day 10)

I returned to ee cummings for the inspiration for this canvas.  I am really loving this challenge for about 300 reasons, which I should probably document (I just don't want to blather).

Here is my piece:
And here is cumings':

if you like my poems, let them
walk in the evening,a little behind you

then people will say
"Along this road i saw a princess pass
on her way to meet her lover(it was
toward nightfall)with tall and ignorant servants"

(For me, this is about the way in which the words of an awestruck lover make us regal, ennoble us, render us extraordinary.)

3 comments:

  1. Another wonderful piece with another fantastic palette! I love the gradation of the night sky with the orange and pick clouds and the bit of green on the horizon! It evokes that time of night so beautifully! I also love your decision to bend the horizon. It so gorgeously stylizes the picture and creates lovely curving lines.

    I love the motion you put into her turned head by the small detail of her swinging earring and the subtle swoop of her hair (at least I think it is swooping--perhaps it is an updo instead?). Also, the dimensionality that you created in the pearls with the yellow and pink shadows is awesome. Actually, all of her clothes have a fantastic dimensionality, don't they? From the highlights on her rear and at the base of her skirt to the gathered highlighted fabric where her blouse tucks into her skirt. Her eyes are beautiful, and I love the greenish tone that you gave to her skin! Oh! And the little stones in her path--what a lovely detail!

    Finally, the crowning of the princess with the poet's words is such a cool way to connect cumming's poem to the painting. I love how the O fall on her forehead, like a third eye or a target.

    Another beautiful piece as you continue to grow and grow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mentioned a couple times already I LOVE THE CLOUDS. I love the tiny village with the tiny steeples and that great backward glance, and your clever use of text. Also, uh, what Jason said! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this painting! I think it's still my favourite so far of all of your challenge pics. I just love the backward glance over the shoulder and the gorgeous, colourful clouds. The backwards pearls are a cool touch and the city in the distance is awesome. It all came together really well here, especially the colour scheme. It's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete