Tuesday, January 20, 2015

30 Paintings in 30 Days: A Portrait of the Poet as a Young Knight (Day 20)

Call me a voyeur, but I love reading other people's letters - famous authors' letters, I mean, and mainly the ones that have been published.  Your letters are safe.  In the winter, I don't even want to brave the cold to open my own mailbox. 

Anyway, I have a volume of Emily Dickison's letters, and they're fantastic.  If you're looking to develop some kind of elite, learned voyeurism, I recommend them highly.  Dickinson is, as you might expect, both modest and self-deprecating in reference to her person and her talents, "Myself the only Kangaroo among the Beauty," as she writes in an 1862 letter to TW Higginson, who eventually helped with the posthumous publication of her work.  In that same letter, Dickinson wrote, "My posture is benighted." 

And because I love her, and because why not, I thought it better that she be knighted than that she be benighted.

So here it is, "A Portrait of the Poet as a Young Knight."


3 comments:

  1. I could look into her eyes for hours. Her whole face is a thing of beauty with all the tonal variations and contours that you have created by the suggestion of light on her skin. Once again, I love the sense of motion that you have created by the wisps of hair and the small arc in her neck scarf. You have mixed realism with whimsy and balanced the two beautifully!

    And as you have done throughout this challenge, you have used a gorgeous palette to create your vision. She is one of my favorites from the last 20 days. You are amazing, my darling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnnD, I hope you won't be angry but I'm on to the ruse! Is there really a "Jason"? I mean, sure there are some great guys out there. But this one seems just a bit unbelievable!

    Meanwhile, I totally love this face too! Sweet but strong, I stand by that assessment. She's really got something going on - planning or plotting or just lots and lots of thinking things. Very, very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! You are so funny. He is sort of unbelievably marvelous, I agree.

      There is a real "Cindy," too, who also said very nice things! She is scheming for sure. Thanks for the great comment!

      Delete