Monday, January 19, 2015

30 Paintings in 30 Days: Circe (Day 19)

Hey, here's something totally shocking: I found another Louise Gluck poem to inspire my painting!  WHUT?!

This poem is called "Circe's Power" - named for the goddess who (in The Odyssey) turns half of Odysseus' men into swine - and it has one of the best openings in Poem-dom:

I never turned anyone into a pig.
Some people are pigs; I make them
Look like pigs.

I'm sick of your world
That lets the outside disguise the inside.
Hell yeah.  Tell 'em, Circe!




3 comments:

  1. Another great piece that shows how much you are pushing yourself in these challenges! Her turned head, her leaning to pet the pig, the swoosh of her dress, the foreshortening of her arm, the sense of depth in her right arm, and the shiny swirl of her roll of hair--all of these things are impressive and a challenge. I can see you trying to do something new in each painting even as you continue to focus on the roll that light and shadows play in creating depth and texture! Absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hair! The drama! The style! The pig! Oh, and that arm, what an arm! A perfectly painted arm. Wonderful pig face too. More animals! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so funny! I am doing an animal right now, in fact! :D

      Thank you!

      Delete