Thursday, January 15, 2015

30 Paintings in 30 Days: Pin the Nose on the Doctor (Days 14-17)

This entry could very well be called "There and Back Again," by Bilbo Baggins, except that I am slightly taller than a hobbit, and my crisis did not involve facing down a dragon or a forest full of giant talking spiders.

On Wednesday, when I should have been finishing up my Day 14 canvas, I was instead staring at my Day 14 canvas in despair.  It was 85% finished, but I couldn't figure out how to get from 85% to 100%.  In a panic (and running short on time), I pulled out some tiny 2x4 black canvases I had purchased before the holidays, but nothing was coming into my head.  I was too upset about the big canvas.  Finally, I got so depressed that I crawled into bed for a nap.  Just as my head hit the pillow, I realized what I needed to do with the small canvases:  Nose studies.

Of different incarnations of The Doctor.

The last four actors cast in the role of Doctor Who - namely, Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant, Matt Smith, and Peter Capaldi - all have quirky, interesting noses.  I worked really hard on these, and I have to say that I totally adore them.


5 comments:

  1. These noses are absolutely fabulous! Brilliant idea for the tiny canvases and even better that you did Doctor Who noses! Theses are fantastic, Ann!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sal! It was such a great experience doing these! Nose studies are HARD, but I kept at it, and I am pleased that I persevered!

      Here's something fun I learned: Matt Smith's eyebrows don't start until the middle of his eye. Seriously, the start lines up with the pupil. So interesting! And Tennant's nostrils are not symmtrical. (I love his slightly crooked nose!)

      Delete
  2. These noses are the perfect follow up to your "She Knits" painting! You have taken your attention to detail, your ever-growing skill at creating depth through light and shadow, and your blending of colors to create life and interest in a surface, and brought them all into one project. A brilliant idea brilliantly executed! I love these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally amazing noses. All the people should be here appreciating the noses. But they aren't. I mean, it took me long enough to get here, I guess! The Eccleston nose, seriously, is a masterful feat of nose engineering! They are all totally super impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so, so much! I love these noses. Hee.

      Delete