Friday, May 30, 2014

50 Canvases in 2014: Text Challenge

This week was my son's last week of middle school.  An organized mother would have had teacher gifts and photo shoots, or at the minimum, a crystal clear understanding of where the boy needed to be - and when - and with what (a cello, a tie, a toga, a bottle labeled "Nectar" for his Midsummer Night's Dream performance, whatever).  Alas, I am not an organized mother.  Let's just pretend that people who make life look easy are dull and unfulfilled, okay?

On to the art!  Earlier in the week, for a blog entry on wonderstrange, I created this background, which I ultimately thought of as a sort of whimsical storybook cover.  And who better to add to a storybook than Red Riding Hood, freshly rescued from her ordeal with the wolf?  I laid down the text to meet the text challenge from 50 Canvases in 2014 on wonderstrange.

I don't know if you can see the text in the pics, but it is faintly visible in places.  I am kind of ridiculously excited to have used red as a shadow color.  That's the type of thing I tend to like in other people's work but don't include in my own.

12 comments:

  1. Hee! She is awesome! I love her happy little face <3 and the red shadows look terrific! (you can't see the text in the photos, but I'm glad you can see it IRL because that was an AWESOME piece of book you used!!)

    Yay for spontaneous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great stencil. Wonderful painting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love her and her wonderful red shadows! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think she is great. You are doing a lot right now. Don't forget to smell the roses.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful and happy face. I think you did well using the red color as shading, it works good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally cute storybook cover! And look at those classic AnnD crooked teeth. And very nicely done hair!

    As for this whole graduating 8th grade business (which a coworker is also experiencing with her kid), seems a bit crazy. I did not graduate from middle school. Or elementary school for that matter. But it seems to be a much bigger thing now! OR, possibly it's just this area of the county. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always so wonderful to see how your figures suddenly emerge on the canvas. She looks happy and excited, and relieved to have the ordeal behind her :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute. I liked seeing how created this.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh she is adorable!! Love that face...and thanks for sharing your process!!! Such happiness!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  10. great finished piece and have to admit to being completely hopeless at the school mother thing... such a relief when she started university this year and I was off the hook...xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yeaaaaahhh. She definitely has that 'Whew, life is good,' look on her face. I love the reds on Red! And holy moly, your Miracle Ride painting was super duper awesome!!!! Very cool. I would have snatched it up myself, definitely! Congrats on a great auction for a great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations to your son!!
    I had a lovely 8th Grade Graduation (Our Milk lady gave me a couple of fragrance oils from Avon, of which I was QUITE proud!) .... & what a fun piece!!
    Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete