Thursday, April 10, 2014

50 Canvases in 2014: Atypical Color Challenge

I am doing the wonderstrange 50 Canvases in 2014 challenge, and last week's prompt called for the use of a color palette you wouldn't normally pick - or at least, that's the way I (mis)remembered it.  As it turns out, the prompt was to use an established palette - that is, to pick a palette before beginning the canvas and stick with it, all the way to the end.  Whoops.  Good thing I did that, too!  I just did it with a color palette I wouldn't normally use.  Seriously, this is so far outside my comfort zone that you need a passport and a long conversation with a customs agent to get from one to the other.


Parlais vous pinky-purple?

Okay, to keep everything else simple simple, I decided to work on a 4x4 black canvas, and I made myself a pensive little alien.  I am pleased to report that I had a ball!




The flash really changes the way the colors look!

Before I painted the background, by the way, I Googled some images from the Hubble telescope.  The image I chose was associated with an article called, "Galaxy 'Spills Its Guts' in Space."  Who can resist a tell-all galaxy?!  Secrets of the Universe, come sit by me!

19 comments:

  1. Yay she is fabulous! I love seeing pink come out of you! :D That background = perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ann. Nice to meet you and thx for stopping by my PPF post. That little studio I painted isn't actually my studio, just a little house that popped into my mind and I called it studio. My studio has French doors and is a little bigger and I love it more.:)) Love the pink hair on your girl. She really came out great. Nice job. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super gorgeous art..I love your expressive energy.. style and spirit!
    Beautiful work..
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, I'm totally sitting there too. Galaxy might need to scooch over a bit. It's so totally cool! I love the hairstyle. The hair is super great! Hair is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great art. I had never seen a black canvas till yesterday at the crafts store. Looks like you know how to use it well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic, she shines. Love the galaxy too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow.. the background you created is gorgeous! Love your wonderful canvas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous!! Love how you used the pallet!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your alien girl! Wouldn't have expected to get such a beautiful outcome from a colorpalette like that ... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i like the way you paint faces..love the little alien on the black

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a good thing I was taking a sip of my coffee because I would have spit it out on the screen. Laughed soooo hard at your passport line. :))) Aliens are hard to paint. I think you did a great job with the palette.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool! Isn't it so much fun using colors or materials that you would normally use? You did a great job here. Have a great weekend! Rasz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your little girl on black canvas with red hair. Qute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Ann,
    You did a fantastic job on the prompt and really like how you used the spilt galaxy for the backdrop. Beautifully done! The title would have been hard to ignore, too funny : )

    Annabelle : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your fabulous alien girl and the great background. Happy PPF, Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your post and that is a super little alien. Made me smile

    ReplyDelete
  17. Grief, she looks like someone I know. . . .I love this look. Using colors you haven't used before . . . you did so very creatively. Blessings, Janet PPF (Thanks for the visit.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey, that's really cool! I rather love the color combo. It looks like the galaxy is spilling some highly juicy secrets there!

    And for the record, I would rather be kicked a million times down there. Ha! I hope the other kid didn't run away screaming.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohhh this is really wonderful. I love this color palette.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete