Friday, January 2, 2015

30 Paintings in 30 Days: Yorick's Revenge (Day 2)

For Day 2 of the 30 Paintings in 30 Days challenge, I went straight for a color palette that's comfortable for me while tackling a subject that's uncomfortable for me: Skulls!  I like them.  I am fairly nervous to paint them.

So I challenged myself to paint one.

And then I decided to make a Shakespeare joke.  I confess I love the result.







On the way to the computer to post this, I asked my 14-year-old son if he got the joke.  He said, "Instead of Hamlet holding a skull, the skull is holding Hamlet."  Success!  I mean, I think of him as Shakespeare, who is also depicted holding a skull, but whatever.  Details.





8 comments:

  1. I love everything about this canvas! The clothes on Yoric are stunning in their detail, and the skull is beautifully detailed. I love that he's wearing his jester's cap, and I especially love that the prongs of the hat look like ram or devil horns. Shakespeare's expression of being entirely over the joke of the reversal is priceless. Another great piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I admit that I was psyched about the clothes!

      I am so glad you made that observation about the jester's cap looking like devil horns. I didn't plan it that way, but when I saw it happening, I certainly tried to play it up!

      Delete
  2. Your imagination works in a great way :-) I also love the canvas in your previous post. So does this mean you'll post a painting every day for the next 28 days? That's great! Looking forward to that :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. denthe, you sweet thing! Thank you so much! I will indeed be posting a painting every day! :D

      Delete
  3. Fantastic! Love the color! And the fancy clothes! And what a skull, eek! Amazingly 3D too!

    ReplyDelete