Sunday, March 16, 2014

Dealing with Dinner (in the Name of Art)

I have a deeply vexed relationship with food preparation.  I enjoy it - oddly, never more than when it is as stupidly complex and demanding as the American tax code- but I also hate it, if only because it always interrupts me in the middle of something I want to finish.  Like . . . a canvas.  Or a salt shaker.  Or a crocheted serial killer.  OR ANYTHING AT ALL.

Now that I say that, maybe I don't have a food preparation problem; maybe I have an interruption problem.

At any rate, this week, I am trying something new.  To satisfy my love for the stupidly hard and ridiculous, I am making the following this week, all from scratch:

  • Chilaquile Casserole with Southwestern Black Bean Salad and fruit salad
  • Golden Pear Soup, Country Bread, cheese, and Roasted Green Beans with Onions and Garlic
  • Black Bean Chili, salsa, and Banana and Cheese Empanadas
  • Mexican Potatoes with Oaxaca Bean Salad
  • Tofu and Sweet Potato Stir Fry with Javanase Vegetable Salad
To accomplish this feat, I am working on meals two and three days in advance, a bit at a time.  Yesterday, I soaked and cooked beans for the Southwestern Black Bean Salad, and then I made dough for the empanadas.

Today, I made the Southwestern Black Bean Salad, and I am soaking and boiling beans for the Black Bean Chili.  Oh, and the Country Bread Dough is rising on the counter.

This salad looks even more beautiful after the cilantro and parsley are added - but please, judge it on its inner beauty.

Rise up, Country Bread Dough!  Fight the system!

To finish things up, I am about to make the Chilaquile.  And the Pear Soup.  Both.  Wait until my sous chef (aka my son) finds out. He'll be endlessly thrilled.

I am hoping that all of this daily work will help me accept that food preparation is just a part of life, dammit, which no amount of whining, hiding, resentment, pouting, or bargaining will change.

I am also hoping that by planning ahead, I will really appreciate and savor the rest of the day when I am not cooking, when I can sit at my table and create.  Because that is precious time!

I did have a moment of panic today, by the way - which is a great sign, on Day 2.  I thought, "I AM MAKING TOO MANY THINGS!  I CANNOT POSSIBLY DO THIS!"  Then I laughed, though, because seriously?!  I can do whatever it is I ask of myself.  If I ask a lot, I will get a lot.

Here's to a new experiment, and here's to delivering what I demand!  Let's hope it's all a great success, because I have one million things I want to make, and I don't mean in the kitchen!

P.S. When I went to cut the slits for the second rise, I almost cut through the loaf on the left.  Now I feel like the extra asshole-y killer on [insert crime show] who is so violent that he almost severs the spine. 

7 comments:

  1. 1. Cutting through a loaf doesn't make you an asshole. ;) I know that's not what you were saying, but I also know that's how you were feeling, because you're mean to yourself.. lol!

    2. Ahhh, dinner. Such a paint in the ass. What I usually do to avoid all of these issues is to make simpler stuff on the weekdays, things I can make in an hour or so, or use the crockpot. During that hour/prep time, I drink wine and watch Netflix, so it becomes break time.

    3. On weekends, I usually make more complicated stuff since I theoretically have help, but really it's just because I don't have much quiet time, so I may as well be in the kitchen anyway.

    4. WTH is Javanase Vegetable Salad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. Hahaha! I promise I was just mostly amused. I meant to make a slit, and I made a GASH. I was all, "Oooh! Look! So violent! I don't even know my own serial killer strength!"

      2. Yeah, you're smart about the way you use the crockpot - and the dinner prep time! I definitely have simpler recipes, but then I put off making them until I'm completely starving, by which point, every tiny thing becomes A HUGE CRISIS! It's not cool, man.

      3. Yeah, I definitely rocked the "complicated on the weekend" this weekend. I'm tired!

      4. LOL! It's a salad with spinach, green beans, mung bean sprouts, unsweetened coconut, and this whole exotic weird citrus dressing business. I'm hoping it will be awesome. (That dinner is the one new dinner in the group.)

      Delete
    2. 1. okay, excused. You whacko. ;)

      2. You need a Drucilla, apparently, to constantly say "I AM SO HUNGRY WHEN IS FOOD TIME CAN I HAVE A POPTART" to alleviate the crisis. Maybe I can have her start calling you at 4:30 when she starts harassing me? ;)

      3. Boo! I had to made pizza for six people, including a GF. I feel you.

      4. Hrmmm.. interesting. I have never heard of Javanase.

      5. Whatchoo know about wearing a fur foxskin?

      Delete
    3. God, maybe she could just BRING me a Poptart every day at 4:30. That would be killer!

      Pizza for six?! And GF? UGH! I hope you had a lot of wine! You have to deal with the crowds so much more often than I do!

      Delete
  2. #1. Why on earth would one add candy corns to black beans? It's possible I know nothing about cooking at all! (It totally looks like candy corns though, right?)

    Next, I don't know why I thought I needed further confirmation, but you do seem to thrive on pressure and an overly full schedule! It sounds exhausting! Maybe you are a superhero! It's interesting how different people motivate differently. :D

    Pear soup holy cow, it sounds so FANCY. Do people really make that? Is it a cold kind? You know, I love pear flavor. I should eat more things with pear in em. Maybe I should make pear soup. Sometimes I cook and sometimes I like to, but usually Bert takes over and I'm happy to go draw things.

    As for the killer-guilt, I too suffer from imbuing inanimate objects with feelings of their own. But even I draw the line at bread dough. And you can, too!

    ( Have you had any return to the Smart Ones Italian Sausage*?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! That totally does look like candy corn! It is, of course, corn and white onion. If only the pepper were orange instead of red, it would have been perfect!

      I know this seems a little counterintuitive, but I am in this case trying to add pressure in order to relieve pressure. I know it's weird - and maybe it will be a huge failure! Talk to me at the end of the week!

      Pear soup is SO YUM. It's got sweet potatoes in it, too.

      (And in truth, I'm happy to let Jason cook, too - so happy that I feel guilty, because he drives all over the damn state for jobs, so not only does he work long, weird hours and have jobs that start at 6am, but he also might have to drive six hours round trip to do it. No one needs to be making dinner after doing that shit!)

      Delete
    2. Oh! And Italian sausage will be next week! God knows I can't do this crazy business *every* week! :D

      Delete